NBA drops Tim Hardaway

The NBA has kicked Tim Hardaway to the curb in the wake of his recent anti-gay remarks during a radio interview.

This means the former Miami Heat guard’s scheduled appearances on behalf of the league during All-Star weekend have been cancelled.

"It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement Thursday.

Hardaway’s All-Star ban comes after the retired player released a statement apologizing for his remarks during the interview on Miami’s Dan Le Betard Show on 790 The Ticket. When the former athlete was asked about the recent coming out of ex-NBA player John Amaechi, Hardaway responded:

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."

When show host Dan Le Batard told Hardaway those comments were "flatly homophobic" and "bigotry," the player continued: "You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

No comments: